A few days ago i downloaded the new Tweetie 2 iPhone application for my 32gb iPhone 3GS after using the original Tweetie App for the last few months, and although there has been criticism for it charging for it as a new app, i have to say the upgrade is worth it.
The original Tweetie App was one of the most popular Twitter clients for the iPhone, and with the new Tweetie 2 it looks like the developer has listened to all the feedback from the users and packed a lot of great new features into the new app. Tweetie 2 brings such great new features to the Twitter experience as offline reading and editing of tweets.
With Tweetie 2 the developers have kept the slick and user friendly interface, but added further to it. You now get a solid stream of tweets as you scroll, and the great new feature of updating with the latest tweets by just flipping your finger up the screen until the scroll naturally reaches the top, Genuis! At the bottom there are the usual symbols, but with the addition of a glowing light telling you that there are updates available. At the top they have also added a search bar, making it easy for you to search through your tweets.
As we mentioned earlier, the addition of offline mode is a favourite. The fact that your tweets now get cached for offline reading is a great addition, but they have also created it so that you can favourite tweets, and store new tweets for update when you go online. The offline mode should be a welcome addition especially for those that use it with the iPod Touch.
Here is a list of some of the other great new features that comes with Tweetie 2 App:
- Easily handle multiple Twitter accounts
- Set up virtual push notifications for selected people you follow to get immediate notification when they post a new tweet.
- Explore the whole of Twitter by looking at your own timeline as well as your friends and followers.
- It does not only cache the tweets, Tweetie 2 restores your entire UI if you quit or get a phone call
- Offline mode that allows you to read, tweet, favorite, follow, and save to Instapaper. Your actions will be synced as soon as you go back online
- Full landscape support
- Easy to use support for tweeting images and videos.
- URL shortening
- Never loose a tweet with the message manager
- Link Twitter contacts to Address Book contacts
- Follow, unfollow, block and unblock from multiple accounts simultaneously
- Threaded Direct Messages and improved conversation navigation
- You can now easily edit your own Twitter profile
- Specify custom API roots on a per-account basis
- Nearby map view - really cool when you are at events etc.
- Translate tweets
- Safari bookmarklet support for easily sharing links
If you have not downloaded Tweetie 2 from the iTunes App Store yet, it is well worth the $4 (£1.79) it costs to download it.