As part of their new iPad with Retina display media event today, Apple also announced that iOS 5.1 is available to download from today, including new bug fixes and amongst other bringing support for Japanese to Siri.
The new software upgrade is available for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owners running iOS 5, so check your settings app on your iOS device for software updates, but be aware that Apple upgrade servers might be busy at the moment and it might take a day or so before you are able so successfully upgrade.
Here is a breakdown of some of the key improvements and features of iOS 5.1
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Individual photos can be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
- Updated AT&T network indicator
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
Apple has also released iTunes 10.6 for download immediately.